What’s your favorite “Doomsday Preppers” scenario? Plague? Nuclear War? A “Doomsday Preppers” scenario is something worthy of the show “Doomsday Preppers.” Something to throw civilization into chaos and end our modern way of life.
Hardcore preppers now have one more seemingly far-fetched scenario that could actually happen: The Robot Apocalypse. Terminator movie meets reality.
Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant men of our time, says artificial intelligence (AI) represents an “existential threat” to humans.
Could artificial intelligence combined with robotics create a machine that could out think the best humans in any contest? What happens if these “devices” decide they want to control the world? Dispensing with humans or enslaving us wouldn’t be hard.
AI isn’t about a computer executing a fixed program. It’s about a computer teaching itself how to do something it hasn’t experienced. These are machines that learn. Meet Brett, A robot learning to fold clothing.
Brett’s cute now, but what happens when he’s morphed into a killer autonomous drone?
“The killer robots are coming, and they’re coming soon. Whether it’s self-piloted drones or Big Dog-style walkers, self-piloted crafts are already here, and adding autonomous weapons is a natural next step.” http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/29/8687229/lethal-killer-robots-military-drones
Jumping over barriers:
Cute robot jumping over foam blocks in the lab. Chasing us through the fields to maul us to death, not so much.
Swordsmanship. Is this really a good thing to teach a robot?
Robots will learn how to heal themselves.
What if the Robot Apocalypse happens? What will happen? How to survive? Here’s my opinion:
1. We’re screwed. These robots could take over nuclear weaponry and launch an attack to kill off most of humanity in the blink of an eye. Yes. That’s the theme directly from the Terminator. If the AI creature doesn’t want to use nuclear weapons, it could create biological agents which would exterminate most of mankind. Guess 90% or more of the population dead.
2. Lucky for us, the robots would keep some humans around as slaves. We’re useful. They’d find some uses for humans. On the positive side: The human race isn’t entirely exterminated. That’s something.
3. Some people could live free in very isolated areas. The robots wouldn’t spend much effort dealing with wild humans. We wouldn’t be a threat. Living in remote areas and living as a nomad would be best.
4. Don’t f with the robots. Seriously. Knock one off with your 50 cal BMG and you’ve just become like a cougar in California that attacked a jogger. You’re dead meat. They’ll hunt you down and terminate you. The robots would label you a problemed human.
5. If you really must f with one of the robots, use the most powerful rifle you have. In my book, The Prepper Next Door, I half-jokingly write about how a shotgun isn’t a good weapon against a cyborg from the movie the Terminator. It wouldn’t work like you see in the movie. 00 buck only penetrates about 4″ of pine. That’s a spitball to an armored cyborg!
While I was writing about the effectiveness of body armor against shotguns, lightly-armored human hunting robots would be immune to shotguns and most handguns and most SMGs. Grab your 7.62 NATO or 50 BMG or your 338 Winchester Magnum.
6. Even if AI robots don’t take control of the world, they will change the economy and displace many workers. A poster on reddit sums it up nicely, “The work force is so screwed.”
Speaking of powerful rifles, here’s an article about the US Marines and their need to upgrade sniper rifles.
Colt is bankrupt. I’m not surprised. When was the last time you purchased a Colt? For 1911s and AR-15s we have many alternatives.
If robots go ballistic on humans, I bet it’s because of the crappy Chinese parts they’re forced to endure. Here’s an article about counterfeit parts in American weapon systems. It raises the question: Why should American weapons depend upon Chinese parts at all? Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that?
Because of Bird Flu, egg prices are up 300% in the USA.